The more active and fit you are during pregnancy, the easier it will be for you to adapt to your changing shape and weight gain. It will also help you to cope with labour and get back into shape after the birth. Please refer to this page on the NHS website about exercising during pregnancy.
Exercising after having a baby is also important. When you're feeling tired, being active may seem like the last thing you want to do. But regular activity can relax you, keep you fit and help you feel more energetic. It can also help your body recover after childbirth and may help prevent postnatal depression. Please refer to this page on the NHS website about keeping fit and healthy after having a baby.
If you would like to read more about support for your mental health please go to this page on our website.
Mums' Zone sessions are now online
The Mums' Zone virtual classes are designed for mums with young babies – they are led by a post-natal qualified yoga teacher. The class is focused on mum (but if you wish to have your baby with you that is fine).
What Mums are saying about the Mums' Zone online sessions:
"Thank you so much for these sessions. They helped me to start to feel like me again and not just a mum who is still in pain and healing after a traumatic birth and subsequent time in theatre. We are struggling and not just for covid. These free sessions are a lifeline at this time."
"Excellent teacher, I have been really enjoying the classes. They don't seem like a physical strain at the time, but I ache the next day!"
Want to join the sessions? Read this through:
- You need to have had the all-clear following your 6-week post-natal check up with your doctor to take part
- You agree that you are responsible for your own health and safety whilst participating
- Make sure you have enough space to lie down without any obstructions
- The sessions are aimed at mums but if you have your babies with you please ensure there is enough space for you and baby with room around you
- Listen to your body. Hold off on exercise when you're sick or feeling very fatigued. Cut back if you cannot finish an exercise session, feel faint after exercise or fatigued during the day, or suffer persistent aches and pains in joints after exercising.
- Do not wear jewellery when taking part
- Tie hair back
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Have water with you to keep hydrated
- If you have any questions please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to join Mums' Zone sessions
We'll run yoga sessions every Saturday starting 4th July till 8th August.
When: 9am - 10am.
Zoom ID: https://zoom.us/j/524315655
Zoom is a free app, available to download on you smartphone, laptop or tablet. Do not pay for the professional account. You only need the basic free account.
Book your place through email@example.com to receive a password and join the Zoom session.
Arooj will be delivering the Mums' Zone virtual yoga classes and has been delivering our Mums' Zone programme since last September.
Arooj is a Level 4 certified Yoga teacher with FRYOG. Member of Register of Exercise Professionals and has been teaching yoga for 15 years. Arooj specialises in Hatha, Restorative yoga and Meditation and is qualified to teach post-natal yoga.