Live Longer Better: transformational system change for older people
We are facing a serious health crisis for older people across the country. The over 80s population will double within ten years, with the majority of those aged over 65 likely to experience poor health for more than half of their remaining years. The impact of COVID-19 is exacerbating these issues and makes this an urgent and vitally important problem.
Furthermore, a recent report produced by Age UK provides a harsh reminder of how our older people's resilience and self-sufficiency has been shattered by COVID-19. Sadly, the findings in this report convey just how frightened, depressed and isolated older people are feeling, with one in three people reporting less energy and one in four unable to walk as far as before.
It is vital that we act, now.
“For the future of social care, we need a revolution not a reorganisation. We need to reduce the need for social care by making the term ‘care’, meaning just doing things for people redundant and enabling people to achieve physical and cognitive development as they live longer .” (Sir Muir Gray)
Get Berkshire Active is very proud to be able to work with Sir Muir Gray and his Optimal Ageing Programme to launch a transformational initiative designed to help older people "Live Longer Better."
Live Longer Better launched in late 2020 as a partnership between a number of Active Partnerships across the UK, to fully capture the issues faced by older people right across the country. By setting up a network with initially a small number of Active Partnerships and with Sir Muir Gray and Optimal Ageing, a powerful collaborative movement can be developed. This will address a population-based personalised system for Living Longer, Better and is set to reduce the need for health and social care.
This collaboration between Optimal Ageing and Active Partnerships provides a unique combination of skills and resources, bringing together the cultures of coaching, and health and social care.
Live Longer Better Learning Programme
The Live Longer Better Learning Programme for professionals features 12 online video modules.
This nation-wide programme is designed to reset how we all think, and talk, about ageing. It is vital that we spread the word that growing old is not a reason to slow down our mental, physical, and cognitive activity. If, by spreading this training, we can get people to 'drop a decade' in their fitness we can help avert a catastrophe for the NHS and the country.
The programme covers all aspects of ageing, from taking control of medication, the importance of physical and mental activity, through to planning for a better end of life.
Licenses to access this programme cost £20. An introduction to the programme can be viewed here.
These is also a version of the course for the public (longer and with more detail). Please consider this for your target audience. We are happy to share a copy of this on request.
Live Longer Better Resources
Berkshire Event - Reconditioning January 2022 (PDF, 1.7 Mb)
Berkshire Event: Focusing on Dementia, April 2022 (PDF, 8.4 Mb)
Berkshire Event - Falls Prevention Oct 2022 (PDF, 8.5 Mb)
Berkshire Event - Move More = Less Pain February 2023 (PDF, 5.2 Mb)
- National Event: Focusing on positive ageing, Jan 2022
- National Event: Viva la Revolution! Feb 2021
- National Event: The Great Escape, July 2021
- National Event: Liberation After Vaccination, March 2021
- National Event: Reducing the need for Health and Social Care – How Live Longer Better can do it! Oct 2021
- Analysis: Sarcopenia: early prevention or overdiagnosis?
- Opportunities to engage health system leaders in whole systems approaches to physical activity in England
- Research Paper: Optimism & Longevity Beyond Age 85
- Research Paper: Six Weeks of HIIT facilitates a four year preservation.....
- Research Paper: Int Exercise Recommendations in Older Adults
- Research Paper: Physical Activity Guidelines for Older People.....
- Research Paper: Wider impacts of COVID-19 on physical activity, deconditioning and falls in older people
- Analytic Review: Exercise is Medicine
- UK Active Report: Life in Our Years
- Cochrane Review: Exercise for preventing falls in older people living in the community
- Age UK Report: Impact of Covid-19 on older people's mental and physical health: one year on
- Research Paper: Multifactorial falls prevention programme compared with usual care in UK care homes for older people....
For more information about Live Longer Better and to find out how to get involved and achieve transformational change for older people, please contact Kirsty Heath, Healthy Communities Manager
Strategic Lead for Ageing Well
Kirsty is the Strategic Lead for Ageing Well at Get Berkshire Active. She leads on the development of GBA's Ageing Well theme, aiming to create the conditions for a healthy and independent later life. She is also lead liaison for Berkshire West Local Authorities. With over 15 years' experience within the sports sector, she holds a BA (Hons) in Sport, Health and Exercise, as well as an MSc in Sports Injury. Her previous roles were in local authority and the NHS, before joining GBA at its inception is 2011. Her sense of purpose has come from personally discovering the benefits of physical activity and she enjoys helping others to access them. In her spare time, she takes part in netball, fitness classes and loves being outdoors.
- 07394 564540